In the beginning…
The Presbytery of New York had a vision of establishing a church in the northeast Bronx. In the spring of 1930, that’s just what they did! Our first pastor, Reverend Floyd E. McGuire, of the Biblical Seminary in New York, was appointed to start a children’s Sunday School. June 1, 1930 marked the first Sunday School service at EPC with an attendance of 47 scholars. The first worship service was held just four months later on October 5th, with Mr. McGuire as the minister.
The congregation was formally organized as the Eastchester Road Presbyterian Church with 84 charter members. In October, 1932 the church moved from Eastchester Road to the nearby Gun Hill Road and became known as the Eastchester Community Presbyterian Church. Ten years later, EPC again relocated and on May 31, 1942, the first worship service was held at the church’s present location.
Since those first days, EPC has had five pastors, including our current serving Reverend Dr. J. Perry Wootten, DMin.
The continued growth of the congregation necessitated the expansion of our church and the establishment of two Sunday services. Today those services are our 8 am Praise and Worship and 10 am Worship Service. In April,1998, a groundbreaking ceremony was held for the church expansion project. One and a half year’s later, we celebrated the dedication of our new and beautiful sanctuary.
Under the guidance of Pastor Wootten, our church has expanded its outreach ministries and initiated programs that foster spiritual growth. Reverend Carlton Knight, Associate Pastor, provides ministry to the sick and is the leader of our 5:30p Sunday evening evangelical service.
The Lord has blessed Eastchester Presbyterian Church with fine leadership, increased membership, a strong church school, and the commitment of its members. We pray that this church will continue to serve God in this corner of the Bronx and to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ by word and action for many, many years to come.